Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lootera - NOT A Review.

Ok, before you start wearing your Judgemental Hats, let me be very clear. I am NOT reviewing this film. I am simply writing about what I felt while watching the movie. So, now if you are still interested, you are welcome to read on further and hopefully with an open mind. :)

I know that the movie has received a lot of mixed reviews. Many have hated it while many have fallen in love with it. For me it took me back to my childhood.



When I started watching the movie, it reminded me of the city I was born in - Kolkata. Everything about the 1st half of the movie made me miss my home-town even more.



The character Pakhi, played by Sonakshi Sinha, reminded me of my cousin, Sonai Didi. Just like Pakhi, Sonai Didi loved the company of people.

As kids she would love to keep us little toddlers around and be the fun big sister who would play all possible games with us.

Pakhi seemed to be similar. Growing up in a Zamindaar family with only her father to be with, she longed for people to stay with her, to love her and make her feel special.

Don't you think there are many more such souls among us who are just as lonely as Pakhi, longing for a companion in life?




After the interval, the movie took me back to my school days. My mother is an avid reader. She would encourage me to read some beautiful literature back then.

I remember reading the famous short story 'The Last Leaf' by O. Henry. I had a whole book of his collection of short stories. Each one of his stories touched my soul like nothing ever had.

I remember shedding a drop of tear when I finished reading 'The Last Leaf'. Watching it live on the screen, made me reminisce those days yet again!



I feel Ranveer portraying the role of Varun was a bit difficult to digest in the 1st half of the film. I am so used to watch him as a Flirt, Thief, Free Spirited and so on. But in the 2nd half of the film, I liked his performance. I feel that he was able to portray the emotions right.

I liked how Vikramaditya Motwane wove a beautiful story of Love around 'The Last Leaf'. I also loved the cinematography by Mahendra J Shetty! It was a pleasant treat for my eyes. If you love Photography, you have to keep watching this film again and again just to admire the beauty of each scene.

Also I loved the close-up shots of Sonakshi. she is so pretty! She is a natural Indian Beauty!



My favourite song from the movie is Monta Re.

Beautifully written by Amitabh Bhattacharya. Each line from the song speaks volumes about the entire song and the love story brewing between the characters.

The music composed by Amit Trivedi is so soulful. It reflects the folk music (Baul sangeet) of Bengal perfectly.

Now what can I say about the mesmerising voices of Swanand Kirkire and Amitabh Bhattacharya? They have brought life to this song. I could listen to this song and keep singing it all day long!




I get it why many would not like the movie as it is slow paced and if you are not familiar with the background and elements of the story, you will not feel connected to it. But I would love to watch it again with a warm cup of coffee and a blanket. :)

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is nice to just write about how you felt. I think you did well. I don't know about others but I would want a look in. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...